Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Our bio-chemicals and sleep.

FlickeringThoughts Guest
    Interesting article, Matt. That was a very good read. While I almost NEVER watch TV (3 hours a week max nearly..) escaping from the computer screen is another topic all by itself. It's really hard to get away from it. I'm thinking about setting some time, right before bed, to read...what is worse, a lamp light or a tv screen? I have a roommate and can't completely escape all light. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Matt Guest
    The TV is the worst, especially if it's a CRT. LCDs are probably a little better since they don't have such an obvious 60 hz refresh rate

Fluorescent lighting also has a strong 60 hz refresh rate, you can really notice it sometimes when they're high up on the ceiling like in a hardware store. Look at the floor and you can see it flickering sometimes

Normal incandescent lighting is not so bad but it's better to start to taper off the light for a while before you go to bed.

If your room mate keeps lights on when you're going to sleep, using a sleep mask might help a lot. Also those silicone earplugs work well for me to keep the noise out. I've never had luck with regular earplugs but the waterproof silicone putty ones are great.

If you get a sleep mask, get a decent padded one. The cheapies are pretty much worthless.

These are what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006B ... &n=3760901

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E ... &n=3760901

goodo. Guest
    I feel I need to ‘counsel’ myself a bit over my remarks in a previous post within this thread… in regard to my defence of televisions 6pm news, current events and documentaries…!

These programs nearly always feature negative topics, surrounding grief, woe, fear and threat… and I feel it is this sort of matter that I (or we) should not allow our minds to become saturated with!
    A sprinkle of awareness of global and local matters would be deemed sufficient… but definitely not to drown ourselves with negative information!

Another (and equally important) point in association with this… is how devoted and disciplined I prove to be to the graciousness of the Astral Dynamics online schooling!
    My time would be better spent absorbing the information offered here on this site… than to be idly lounge bound soaking in bleak news from the television!

Also, I think we need to be guarded against laxness setting in… and keep our passions whetted…!
    Note that I feel that laxness may arise when our measure of advancement stalls!
    This may be seen as part of our own inner testing… where we to keep our determination alive …and continue… so as to qualify for (or earn) our advancement!

This is just my opinion... and I will gratefully muse on that of others!

Matt Guest
    I agree with all of that goodo!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2