Fred made a good post on the EIC forum...

I do wonder, though, whether meditative approaches cannot also work against you when it comes to out of body practice.

Many practitioners of meditation do not seem quite aware at how far and deep most projectors go in order to get into the right state to project, and quieting your mind has little to do with it in my opinion.

For example, some monks work for decades to reach the void through meditation, whereas many modern-day projectors do not experience these difficulties.

I sometimes have the impression that the "empty mind" or "point of consciousness state" described, is nothing more than "clicking out" as often occurs as a sideways step from the mind awake/body asleep state.

It is a fairly light meditative state.

It is in fact a state one wants to avoid, since projecting occurs with intent, and with full mind. It doesn't need to be quiet at all in my experience. You can project with a lot of chatter going on.

I can see the use of meditation practice though, in various ways, and for several reasons. But not necessarily to project in the most efficient way in a reasonable amount of time, for most.

Link