I hesitated with this topic title, because meditation should require no effort, right? Anyways, I have carried on with regular meditation practice on and off for quite some years. Unfortunately, at times, life got in the way and I had to end the practice. How ironic! I used to slip into a deep state of meditation merely by doing Awareness Belly Breathing like what is described in Energy Work, and by focusing on the blackness that's seen when closing my eyelids. I was entering a trance without even realizing it! I seem to be successful with meditation!
Since then, I've had some major life changes. I've moved back to my hometown, I've gotten married, entered college, etc. Basically a major life change. It seems as though an end result of my busyness is a pretty active surface mind. I've been doing meditation again however I can't seem to slip into the deep states I used to. I've only been doing it for about 5 weeks though, for hour-long sessions.
I'm thinking that persistence is key here. Just keep doing it. I don't feel like I'm getting very far though. Little things like the need to swallow saliva, or my dog making abstract noises from time to time can still throw me off. I don't just want to achieve deep meditation, I need it. My soul is far-too wise for my own good, and without a deep-seated spiritual foundation and some inner peace, stress and frustration will be the death of me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!