I have the same problem with this.

It's is exactly why my preference of type of literature changed. Until 3 years ago I was reading a lots of science-fiction, fantasy, adventure. It was before I went on the spiritual path.

Now I don't anymore. And I don't understand why spiritually oriented people still would like to see those fantasy movies or similar. I don't get it. Because it's a parody.

So now I only read non-fiction stuff. (Of all kinds by the way, not only metaphysical topics). I found out that reality (or what we think it to be) is so much more thrilling.

I don't like those entertainment fantasy "realities" anymore. And I don't like them mimicking metaphysical concepts and things.

I think I can sum up sleeper's worry in one simple sentence:

NO ONE TAKES IT SERIOUSLY ANYMORE !

It is all game, fun, action, special effects, illusion, fantasy ...

The kids like to play in a virtual world of vampires or knights or future soldiers on their playstations or watch 2-3 horror movies per night, but hey ... it's all just entertainment and funny baloney, huh?

And it really is getting parodied and travestied, the irony: mostly by so-called "rational" people -who are not necessarily rational but it is the narrow-minded label they like to stick to themselves.

An example: Just think of the old staunch materialist and religion-basher "Mr Evolution" Richard Dawkins.

When asked what he wants to do now after he retired from his office as university professor, he said he wants to write fantasy novels of the Harry-Potter type now. Just to prove how much EASY fun it can be to make things up (like all things spiritual are made up, as he likes to imply with this.)

This makes me sick. Really sick.