I find astrology in general very different from what astrologers say...

I must admit that I don't quite like astrologers. Even if they state differently, what they read from a birthchart and make suggestions from it is typically fatalistic. They say things like "there's no chance for this or that, because of your birth chart; change your believes, because you won't succeed; maybe there's a chance for this or that but chances are poor; you will face only disappointments because of the square between these planets and your saturn placement here and here" etc.
(My observation also is that most of astrologers are either hiding lack of real confidence in what they are saying, or are simply ignorant. No offence.)

The conclusion one could draw from this is that astrology is fatalistic: people are born with "dumb destiny" to suffer from having their desires unfulfilled because of "bad time" they were born in.

My view is different. People have desires as a guiding feelings moving them to fulfilling them.
Difficult planet positions are challanges with any possible outcome, depending on what they do and what they choose. There are many people with oustanding results in their lifetimes because of having difficult birth charts.
On the other hand, there are really not many people with exceptional life-times and "easy" to live birth charts.

The value in astrology therefore lays in understanding the hidden potential in each difficult energy occuring, and possibly having outstanding results thanks to the effort put, and not in getting someone down by fortelling the failures seemingly justified by having certain planets at certain positions. The latter is lack of understanding the essence of life and life-time.

Trust your true feelings, not stars and planets in first place! The role of astrology is to help, not to get anyone down and not to fortell "the future". Fortelling makes no sense when thought through more deeply. Suggestions on how to change or succeed are the essence of practical astrology.

This all lead after all to mastering your life, and the life alchemy.