Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Energy Classifications

Energy Classifications

I'm new to energy work and I'm finding out all kinds of names given to spiritual energy. Does anyone have a full listing of all types of know spiritual energy and what there main functions are? If more detail is available about the different aspects of each of these energies are, that that would be helpful too.

Blog Entries

Re: Energy Classifications

I could give you classifications according to Yoga but I don't think they are what you're really after. Can you give more context to your question, please?

Perhaps starting with a good chakra website will flesh out some of what you'd wish to know?
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

Okay, I'm going to cut right to the chase (and this is based on many years of... well, observation, experience, whatever). Energy is energy. I know people like to give it names, and divide it up into various categories, call some of it "negative" and some of it "positive" and all sorts of things like that. This is what human brains do, so there's nothing surprising about this kind of category-making, even with esoteric things like this.

But, really, energy is energy. Only context and perception makes it look or feel different. Matter is energy, too, viewed through human perception with our special energy-to-matter brain filters (so to speak).

If you WANT to categorise stuff, you can, and it can be helpful and interesting and so on. I don't want to discourage that. And for a beginner, that's probably the easiest way to approach the subject. But in the long run, it will do you good to know that energy is energy, and so is matter, and so is everything else. Only context and perception differentiates it, separates it, makes it distinct.

If that's too weird and abstract for you, that's okay, too. Maybe it'll plant some seeds, though. Or maybe someone else might read this post one day and get a flicker of understanding. Or, maybe not. I got a clearer picture writing it, so maybe this post is just for me....
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

I'll give you some popular energy classifications, only for comprehension's sake:
    Chi or prana- vital energy. Energy that flows through your body. Used in chinese medicine and Vedic medicine to diagnose and treat illness too, it's what acupuncture is all about.
    Reiki- energy given from a person to another. Probably chi also, but it's 'imprinted' with an intention before being given.
    Shaktipat- Also energy that is broadcast through a person. Probably imprinted with a specific intention, you can do homework if you want.
    Deeksha- it's a blessing, called 'oneness' blessing. A practitioner 'gives' it, or better, facilitates the receiving of it. Usually done in groups.
    Jing, Shen, and others in certain eastern disciplines- the form chi takes while in your body, passive, active,etc.
    Elemental energies- energy that has characteristics of the elements, like fire, water, earth and air. You take them in from your surroundings and use them for whatever purpose. Part of specific practices.
    That's all I can think of for now.
    But essentially, energy is the capacity to do work. You classify the energy with however you use it for or where it comes from.
    Easy peasy.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    I could give you classifications according to Yoga but I don't think they are what you're really after.
    If you think you know what I'm after, that's a good start. I have no idea where to begin. qigong, jing or whatever. How many classifications are there? Maybe begin with identifying the different sources of classifications. I know nothing about this. What are the others other than Yoga?

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    I'll give you some popular energy classifications ...
    Thank you. This is a good start and a lot of helpful information. ButterflyWoman does have a point that energy is energy, but some ancient groups have given it different names for some reason. Possibly each name is different because each energy is a different frequency. Who knows? I am a beginner on all this energy work and from my simplified view, it seems that there are basically two types of energy -- 1.) energy absorbed from the environment and 2.) energy summoned from within oneself. Is this in anyway accurate?

As for what the different names are actually accomplishing or identifying, only the ancient mystics know. Like I said, maybe there are different frequencies of energies. But, are these different energy frequencies interchangeable in their purpose?

But essentially, energy is the capacity to do work. You classify the energy with however you use it for or where it comes from.
    Yes. This is the definition from classical physics. Work (energy) is a force exerted over a distance. I guess that the work that they accomplish can be on different energy planes.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

. Possibly each name is different because each energy is a different frequency.
    It's simpler than that- each name is different because it was named in various languages, in their respective countries. You have Sanskrit for the Indian names (Prana, Deeksha, Shaktipat) you have Chinese (not sure which dialect) for chi, Shen, and possibly Jing, you have Reiki which is Japanese... we just use all the terms in our version of their language, which may or may not be close to the original pronunciation.

It's simpler than that- each name is different because it was named in various languages, in their respective countries.
    So, in spite of the different languages, each language has multiple terms for the same energy and the purposes of these energies are interchangeable? Would you say that they are all the same energy, but the intention of the way it is used is what gives a different name? As in classical physics defining work, but work can be whatever we make it like creating art or digging a ditch. Although the activity is different, work is the effort put forward for an end result. Then likewise, all these names for energy are just describing the different applications for the same energy? The energy or the work are used in different ways and because of that they have different names? The energy or work doesn't change; it's the way we use it that changes its name?

Blog Entries

So many questions, your post seems confusing to me- I'll try to answer in my own words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaker View Post
    So, in spite of the different languages, each language has multiple terms for the same energy and the purposes of these energies are interchangeable?
    No, each region has names for the energy as to where it's located and what it's supposed to do. Whether it's interchangeable is debatable, and different people will tell you what they believe or know about it.

As in classical physics defining work, but work can be whatever we make it like creating art or digging a ditch.
    In physics energy is defined as the ability to make 'something' happen. Moving something that isn't moving, stopping something that was already moving. Physics defines energy in the way it's used also: Potential, kinetic, and is measured in many ways- voltage usually as the baseline way to measure it. When it's moving it's current, and when it's resisting it's...wait for it....resistance.

Although the activity is different, work is the effort put forward for an end result. Then likewise, all these names for energy are just describing the different applications for the same energy? The energy or the work are used in different ways and because of that they have different names? The energy or work doesn't change; it's the way we use it that changes its name?
    I don't even understand these questions, and you don't have to memorize whatever the terms may be: That's why Robert likes to call energy energy, and its ways of working it by how it's worked, and the fancy terminology is not important, unless you're going to study a specific discipline that requires you to memorize it.

Blog Entries

Yes, the different traditions are identifying different manifestations of the same thing and CF has given a good list.

Energy has different expressions, however, so the purposes will be specific to the function of the energy but serving the overall purpose of allowing this reality system and associated systems to function. Even inside your physical body there are different complementary energies, for example energy that is concerned with breathing and swallowing, reproduction, digestion and elimination and moving and co-ordinating limbs.

I could go on about broader aspects of energy as defined in the system I know something about (Yoga) but I don't think it would necessarily serve you in your purposes. As you continue to participate in forums you'll discover different people have adopted varying paths and they'll use the terminology associated with those paths but that doesn't mean you need to know what they're talking about to fulfill your purposes. I suggest that when something does interest you, you ask questions or conduct your own search along those specific lines of inquiry.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)